Red Bull Ring, Sunday 10 July
Hear from McLaren Formula 1 drivers Lando Norris and Daniel Ricciardo, and Team Principal Andreas Seidl after the Austrian Grand Prix.
As it happened
• Both cars get a clean start to the race. Daniel climbs to P9, with Lando in P10
• By lap eight, Lando had passed Daniel for P9
• Both cars box within a few laps of each other to swap their Medium tyres for Hards, and to undercut Schumacher
• Daniel drops behind Schumacher which leaves him P14, with Lando in P12
• Lando pulls off a great overtaking move in a melee of cars, promoting him to P9
• After warnings and a black and white flag, Lando is given a 5-second penalty for infinging track limits
• A pit-stop by Russell triggers a cascade of second pit-stops. Lando boxes for another set of Hard tyres, and serves his penalty. Daniel follows suit in the pit-lane. This leaves Lando P13, and Daniel P14
• Both drivers put in their fastest laps of the race and close in on Magnussen in P9
• A virtual safety car is deployed after an engine failure in Sainz's Ferrari
• Alonso pits twice in the VSC, putting him behind the two McLarens. Lando is P8, Daniel P9, with Magnussen 1s ahead of Lando
• Lando passes Magnussen, promoting him to P7
|Fastest lap||1m09.304s on lap 62 (+2.029s, 8th)|
|Pit-stops||2, lap 43 [Medium/Hard] (3.5s) and lap 44 [Hard/Hard] (8.3s including 5s penalty)|
“A positive day, we went forward a good few positions and scored some decent points. I made a couple of mistakes with the track limits and ended-up with a five-second penalty, which probably hurt us. I should have been P6 but, apart from that, a solid day. The pace in the car was reasonable and we got the points that we wanted, so happy in the end. We just need to keep improving and keep pushing for next time. Big thanks to everyone for working so hard at the track and back home, we made a good recovery from Friday to score some decent points"
|Fastest lap||1m09.924s on lap 61 (+2.649s, 13th)|
|Pit-stops||2, lap 12 [Medium/Hard] (2.3s) and lap 44 [Hard/Hard] (2.8s)|
“Obviously the target was points. I think, as a team, we’re happy with that. It’s a lot better than where we were Friday, so to get double-points is good for us. I was struggling with the left-front on the first stint as I'd had a lock-up into turn one, and put us a bit on the back-foot. So it didn’t feel as good as yesterday. We then struggled more with the front, particularly front-left, even without the flat-spot, but I think we did well to get what we could today. I would have loved to have got Magnussen, but we’ve got to take what we can today. More points, bit of damage-limitation, so pleased with that.”
“Scoring with both cars is a good outcome from a tough Sprint weekend here in Spielberg. Starting P10 and P11 after a good recovery yesterday, the objective today was simply to move further forward. Finishing P7 and P9 in the Austrian Grand Prix is satisfying after starting the weekend on the back foot with several issues on Friday.
“Thanks to Lando and Daniel for showing great fighting spirit. Same for the team who worked hard this weekend – as they have all through this back-to-back sequence. Today we executed a clean race, which got us where we needed to go. Thanks to everyone here trackside, and back at the factory, together with our colleagues at HPP, for helping secure eight valuable points in our Constructors’ Championship battle. A short break now to rest, reset and analyse our performance before we go again in France. We’re looking forward to Paul Ricard.”
Join the team
McLaren Plus is our free-to-join fan loyalty programme, bringing McLaren fans closer to the team with the most inclusive, rewarding and open-to-all fan programmes in motorsport.
Sign up now, or current members can amend their details in the form below if necessary.