Last updated: [20 November 2020]
At McLaren we are committed to handling information about you responsibly and we recognise and respect your right to privacy.
This Privacy Notice explains how McLaren Racing Limited, McLaren Services Limited, McLaren Group Limited, and McLaren Applied Limited (we refer to these as "McLaren", "we", "us", or "our") collect, use and share your personal information in connection with your McLaren Plus membership.
Our principal place of business is: Chertsey Road, Woking, Surrey, GU21 4YH, England.
Some laws (like the General Data Protection Regulation 2016/679) distinguish between a “controller” and a “processor” (or similar terms). We note that we are a “controller” as we make decisions on how personal information is used in connection with McLaren Plus.
Where we make decisions on how personal information is used in connection with McLaren Plus (where we are acting as a controller), we are responsible for the obligations of a “controller” under applicable laws in connection with the processing of personal information.
What personal information we collect
When you sign up to McLaren Plus or during the course of our business dealings with you as a McLaren Plus member, we may collect your “personal information”.
Personal information is information that either alone or in combination with other information can directly or indirectly identify you.
The types of information we collect from you include your title, first name, last name, email address, telephone number, country [of residence], date of birth, subscription preferences, images, feedback and information about how you use and engage with our website and services.
We may supplement the personal information that we obtain from you with other information that we obtain from our dealings with you. This information may include your content preferences, email interactions and competition submissions.
If you do not provide information requested by us from time to time, we may not be able to provide access to McLaren Plus or otherwise fulfil the purpose for which we have requested the information.
How we use your personal information
Under some laws we are required to explain the lawful basis upon which we process your personal information. With respect to these laws we process personal information about you for one or more of the following basis:
• To Perform a Contract. Where the processing is necessary for the performance of contract.
• Legitimate Interests. Where the processing is necessary for legitimate interests pursued by us or by a third party, except where such interests are overridden by your interests or fundamental rights and freedoms which require protection of personal information.
• Your Consent. Where you have given us consent to process your personal information for specified purposes, such as to receive marketing information from third party business partners and other items requested by you.
• Comply with the Law. Where the processing is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation.
We process your personal information in connection with your McLaren Plus membership, including to:
• Send you news, updates and information about McLaren;
• Provide you with exclusive information and access to McLaren Plus member offers, competitions, and merchandise information;
• Send you information about our partners, sponsors and other McLaren companies;
• Comply with your instructions or to fulfil other, specified purposes for which you have given your consent;
• Detect and prevent fraud and abuse to ensure the security and protection of all members and others, as well as to identify and authenticate your access to McLaren Plus or to identify and authenticate you before we provide you with certain information;
• Exercise our rights and to protect our and others’ rights and/or property, including to take action against those that seek to violate or abuse McLaren Plus;
• Comply with the law and our legal obligations, including to respond to a request or order from a court, regulator, or authority; and
• Effectuate the sale, merger, acquisition, or other disposition of our business (including in connection with any bankruptcy or similar proceedings).
Whilst you may receive information of our partners or sponsors through our direct communication with you (including in our McLaren Plus Newsletter) where you have consented, we will never send your data to a third party, sponsors or partners without your prior written consent.
How we share your personal information
We share personal information for the purposes set out in this Privacy Notice and with the following categories of recipients:
• The McLaren Group. We may share your personal information amongst the companies within the McLaren group of companies.
• Business Partners. We may share your personal information with our business partners to jointly offer, provide, deliver, analyse, administer, improve, and personalise products or services (including these Services) or to host events. We may also pass certain requests from you to these business partners.
• Third Party Content Providers. We may share your personal information with our third party content providers to perform tasks on our behalf and to assist us in providing, delivering, analysing, administering, improving, and personalising content that are delivered as part of our Services.
• Third Party Service Providers. We may share your personal information with our third party service providers to perform tasks on our behalf and to assist us in offering, providing, delivering, analysing, administering, improving, and personalising our services. For example, service providers who assist us in sending out marketing campaigns, who provide technical and/or customer support on our behalf, who provide application or software development and quality assurance, who provide tracking and reporting functions, research on user demographics, interests, and behavior, and other products or services.
• In the Event of Merger, Sale, or Change of Control. We may transfer this Privacy Notice and your personal information to a third party entity that acquires or is merged with us as part of a merger, acquisition, sale, or other change of control (such as the result of a bankruptcy proceeding).
• Other Disclosures. We may disclose your personal information to third parties if we reasonably believe that disclosure of such information is helpful or reasonably necessary to comply with any applicable law or regulation, to comply with or respond to a legal process or law enforcement or governmental request, to enforce our terms and conditions or other rights (including investigations of potential violations of our rights), to detect, prevent, or address fraud or security issues, or to protect against harm to the rights, property, or safety of McLaren, our users, or the public.
We may also use and disclose your information in aggregate for marketing purposes such as remarketing and for strategic development purposes.
Transferring Information About You Abroad
Your personal information may be transferred to and stored outside the European Economic Area (EEA) as well as within it.
You should be aware that in territories outside the EEA, laws and practices relating to the protection of personal data are likely to be different and in some cases many not offer the same level of protection as within the EEA.
We will ensure that any such international transfers are made subject to appropriate or suitable safeguards as required by applicable data protection law. To find out more about the safeguards we have in place to protect your personal information please contact us at [email protected].
Updating Information About You
If any of the information that you have provided to us changes, for example if you change your email address or if you wish to cancel any request you have made of us, please let us know by sending an email to [email protected].
How long we keep your personal information
The data we collect from you will be retained by us securely for as long as necessary to provide you with the McLaren Plus services and in accordance with our retention policies.
If you no longer wish to receive McLaren Plus emails you can unsubscribe by clicking the unsubscribe button at the bottom of any McLaren Plus emails or emailing unsubscribe to unsubsc[email protected].
We will automatically delete your personal information if there is a consecutive period of 2 years of inactivity on your McLaren Plus account.
You may have certain rights over your personal information under applicable data protection laws. You will not be able to use these rights in all circumstances. Where applicable, you have the right to (i) reasonably access the personal information that we hold about you and (ii) review and correct such personal information. You may also be entitled to request that we provide personal information to you in a format which can be transferred for use by an alternative service provider or that we delete your personal information. To help protect your privacy, we take reasonable steps to verify your identity before granting access to your information.
If you have given your consent to process your personal information, including to receive marketing, you also have the right to withdraw such consent at any time.
If you would like to exercise any of your rights in relation to our processing of your data, please contact us at [email protected] In some cases, if you ask us to stop processing your personal information we may not be able to continue to provide you with our services.
If you wish to make a complaint about how we have handled your personal information, please contact us at the details below and we will investigate the matter.
If you are not satisfied with our response, or think we’re not processing your personal information in accordance with the law, you can escalate your complaint to the Information Commissioner's Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF. Or visit their website https://ico.org.uk.
How to contact us
If you have any queries about the contents of this Privacy notice, or would like to raise a complaint or comment, please contact us at:
• Email: [email protected]
ATT: McLaren Technology Centre